Hapless

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Hapless

Postby Slava » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:36 am

Another one from the news. I just read of the man about to sell his Picasso for $139 million, but popped his elbow through the canvas just before finalizing the sale. Talk about hapless!

This is also a good one for all its tie-ins to other happening words. I'm so happy. What a wonderful happenstance.

Etc.,

Slava

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:35 pm

A fellow bibliophile asked me to take a look at a painting he picked up on a rural book-buying excursion. It was, possibly, an original, signed Picasso. Skeptical, I agreed to appraise it. Indeed, it was a Picasso(!): screen printed on "actual" canvas and "touched up" by a former owner in bold, black brush strokes.

Hap-ly, he picked it up for very little (from people not realizing they were sitting on a gold mine--heh heh) and, being a person with a good sense of humor, he might well still have it.

-gailr
who has no Picassos in her collection...

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:10 pm

Hapless
"unfortunate," 1568, from hap (q.v.).
Hap
c.1205, "chance, luck," from O.N. happ "chance, good luck," from P.Gmc. *khapan (source of O.E. gehæp "convenient, fit"). Meaning "good fortune" is from c.1225.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”