demur

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

demur

Postby Bailey » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:13 am

de·mur (d-mûr)
intr.v. de·murred, de·mur·ring, de·murs
1. To voice opposition; object: demurred at the suggestion. See Synonyms at object.
2. Law To enter a demurrer.
3. To delay.
n.
1. The act of demurring.
2. An objection.
3. A delay.

[Middle English demuren, to delay, from Anglo-Norman demurer, from Latin dmorr : d-, de- + morr, to delay (from mora, delay).]

de·murra·ble adj.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsNoun 1. demur - (law) a formal objection to an opponent's pleadings
demurral, demurrer
objection - the speech act of objecting
jurisprudence, law - the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
Verb 1. demur - take exception to; "he demurred at my suggestion to work on Saturday"
except
object - express or raise an objection or protest or criticism or express dissent; "She never objected to the amount of work her boss charged her with"; "When asked to drive the truck, she objected that she did not have a driver's license"
2. demur - enter a demurrer
jurisprudence, law - the collection of rules imposed by authority; "civilization presupposes respect for the law"; "the great problem for jurisprudence to allow freedom while enforcing order"
plead - make an allegation in an action or other legal proceeding, especially answer the previous pleading of the other party by denying facts therein stated or by alleging new facts
well, yes we had demure but not demur yet.

mark demurs-demurely Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:30 pm

Not one to demur from continuing this post. In fact, now that I know the sense of "to delay" (which I didn't previously know), I am writing this with all due alacrity.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:15 am

Well I would hope you would Perry I expect nothing less from you.

mark lol Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”