Roup

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Roup

Postby Grogie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:22 am

To sell something by auction. Also, an auction(noun). It comes from Middle English via Scandinavian.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:44 am

I've worked auctions (not the auctioneer-I can't think that fast much less speak that fast) for over 20 years as my father-in-law was an auctioneer. Never heard this word. I'll have to see if he knows it. Bet he has.
Thanks for the word!

Are auctions very common in the U.K.? They are in some areas of the U.S. Here in the south they are a common and accepted way of selling property (personal, real, and farm related) quickly. In other parts of the U.S. they seem to be associated with foreclosures only and therefore have a negative connotation and reputation.

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:17 pm

Thanks Skinem. I thought that ''roup'' was universally used in English but I,ve since discovered that it,s used principally in the U.K. It is a very interesting word indeed.

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:01 pm

In my area of Canada, auctions are a rare thing. Occasionally we have police auctions to sell off the impounded vehicles and recovered stolen property. We also have charity auctions where items are donated and then auctioned off to raise money for a cause. I have never been to a "real" auction but I would love to be front and center at a BARRETT-JACKSON CLASSIC CAR AUCTION.
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:14 pm

I have never been to a "real" auction
I used to go to the Saturday morning auctions to buy farm animals. It was a lot of fun, car auctions sound very exciting.

mark loves-cars Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:21 pm

An infectious disease of poultry and pigeons characterized by inflammation of and mucous discharge from the mouth and eyes

I wanted to see the word "roup" used in a sentence, but most dictionaries only have the above meaning. I only found two instances of "roup" in reference to an auction. It certainly is an obscure word!
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:27 pm

Sunny's roup reference and Grogie's are extremely different!
A nasty disease or an auction...wonder how those two diverse meanings became associated with the same word?

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:45 pm

roup (dialect)
noun

1. A sale by auction.

verb

rouped, rouping
1. To sell something by auction.

Etymology: 16c: Scandinavian, originally meaning ‘to shout'.
from allwords
Noun: roup roop
A disease in poultry

[UK] A sale of gods by auction
from wordweb
roup (rūp)
n.
An infectious disease of poultry and pigeons characterized by inflammation of and mucous discharge from the mouth and eyes.

[Origin unknown.]
from Answers.com
roup

1. An outcry; hence, a sale of gods by auction. To roup, that is, the sale of his crops, was over. (J. C. Shairp)

2. A disease in poultry. See pip.

Retrieved from "http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Roup"

This page has been accessed 92 times. This page was last modified 21:16, 3 October 2005.
from Biology-online.org

so if it's an auction it comes from the final cry at the sale, and if it's infection, unknown in origin.

mark cries-roup Bailey
Last edited by Bailey on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:45 am

Sunny, I thought that ''roup'' might be used fairly frequently in Canada because of Canada,s British nature but apparently that,s not so. I,ve since discovered that, even in the U.K. the word,s usage is confined primarily to Scotland. I have to believe that it isn,t used even there much anymore.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”