enclave

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

enclave

Postby Bailey » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:38 am

en·clave (nklv, n-)
n.
1. A country or part of a country lying wholly within the boundaries of another.
2. A distinctly bounded area enclosed within a larger unit: ethnic enclaves in a large city.

[French, from Old French enclaver, to enclose, from Vulgar Latin *inclvre : Latin in-, in; see en-1 + Latin clvis, key.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.http://www.thefreedictionary.com/enclave
mark secret-cadre-in-the-enclave Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:41 am

Detroit (where I grew up) has two enclaves, Highland Park and Hamtramick. I briefly lived in Highland Park. When visiting some folks in Chicago and mentioning that I lived in HP, they misconstrued and thought that I was from the luxurious Highland Park near Chicago. As if that could have ever happened!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:53 pm

High Schools are the most prominate enclave venues I can think of off the top of my pointy little head.

mark in-the-enclave-not-for-many-decades Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:35 pm

High Schools are the most prominate enclave venues I can think of off the top of my pointy little head.

mark in-the-enclave-not-for-many-decades Bailey
Very funny...and since it took me roughly 30 years to get out of high school, I'd say it is very, very true!

No enclaves for Skinem.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”