Freebooter

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Freebooter

Postby skinem » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:21 am

free·boo·ter\
Pronunciation: 'frE-"bü-t&r
Function: noun
Etymology: by folk etymology from Dutch vrijbuiter, from vrijbuit plunder, from vrij free + buit booty
: PIRATE, PLUNDERER
- free·boot /-"büt/ intransitive verb

Hadn't thought of this word in a while, until I ran across it in a letter written in 1863 from Confederate general Daniel Harvey Hill to Federal general J.G. Foster. (It wasn't a love letter...)
In it Hill accuses Foster of "freebooting" excursions (among other things) while in North Carolina. It is a wonderful, mean letter.

(Reminds me of a bit a comedian has comparing the wonderful educated, flowery language of letters from soldiers of wars past with letter of today's soldiers. An excerpt is read this way.."The dessert makes me very, very hot and sweety.)

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:52 pm

I ran across it in a letter written in 1863 from Confederate general Daniel Harvey Hill to Federal general J.G. Foster.
I don't know what to think about you anymore Skinem. Are you an invader of privacy, really behind in your reading or both? :wink:

Nice word, either way. And look what else turns up when looking up freebooter.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”