curious/curio

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

curious/curio

Postby Bailey » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:49 pm

cu·ri·ous (kyr-s)
adj.
1. Eager to learn more: curious investigators; a trapdoor that made me curious.
2. Unduly inquisitive; prying.
3. Arousing interest because of novelty or strangeness: a curious fact.
4. Archaic
a. Accomplished with skill or ingenuity.
b. Extremely careful; scrupulous.

[Middle English, from Old French curios, from Latin crisus, careful, inquisitive, from cra, care; see cure.]

curi·ous·ly adv.
curi·ous·ness n.
Synonyms: curious, inquisitive, snoopy, nosy
These adjectives apply to persons who show a marked desire for information or knowledge. Curious most often implies an avid desire to know or learn, though it can suggest prying: A curious child is a teacher's delight. A curious neighbor can be a nuisance.
Inquisitive frequently suggests excessive curiosity and the asking of many questions: "Remember, no revolvers. The police are, I believe, proverbially inquisitive" Lord Dunsany.
Snoopy suggests underhanded prying: The snoopy hotel detective spied on guests in the lobby.
Nosy implies impertinent curiosity likened to that of an animal using its nose to examine or probe: My nosy colleague went through my mail. See Also Synonyms at strange.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved
and
cu·ri·o (kyr-)
n. pl. cu·ri·os
A curious or unusual object of art or piece of bric-a-brac.

[Short for curiosity.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.ww.freedictionary.com/curio
Some people use this in an odd way saying a thing is curious. Is it an adjective too?

mark hmmmm? Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:36 am

“Curiouser and curiouser!” Cried Alice (she was so much surprised, that for the moment she quite forgot how to speak good English).
-gailr

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:03 am

We have some curious folks here, and that's a good thing!
(I don't mean it the way I hear it here in the South...it pretty well just means strange in these parts.
At least that's what it means when applied to me...

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”