ewer

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

ewer

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:17 am

ew·er (yr)
n.
A pitcher, especially a decorative one with a base, an oval body, and a flaring spout.

[Middle English euer, from Anglo-Norman, from Vulgar Latin *aquria, from Latin aqurius, of water, from aqua, water; see akw-- in Indo-European roots.]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words AntonymsNoun 1. ewer - an open vessel with a handle and a spout for pouring
pitcher
cream pitcher, creamer - a small pitcher for serving cream
vessel - an object used as a container (especially for liquids) www.freedictionary.com/ewer

mark little-pitchers Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:19 pm

Shoot- there goes our chance to form a short-sweet synonym for ewemonger, one who sells ewes (and whose adjective is surely ewemongous)
A pitcher, especially a decorative one with a base, an oval body, and a flaring spout.
...Fernando Valenzuela?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:46 pm

Shame Bailey couldn't find a picture of a newer uwer. At least a pitcher is worth a thousand words, I guess.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:55 pm

Shame Bailey couldn't find a picture of a newer uwer. At least a pitcher is worth a thousand words, I guess.

-- PW
I know what ewer saying, PW.
There's just probably fewer newer ewers askew.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:06 pm

-- PW
ewer just not seeing the whole pitcher

I know what ewer saying, PW.
There's just probably fewer newer ewers askew.
Rats! Sewer is the only one left unless you want to stretch out purer.

mark ewe's-not-fat-ewe's-fluffy Bailey

kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:21 pm

Ewer'all missing something here: the independent other whose pairing makes a combination greater than the sum of its parts.

What is Butch Cassidy without the Sundance Kid? Assault without Battery? Apples without Oranges? Ren without Stimpy? Richard Burton without Elizabeth Taylor? Flotsam without jetsam?

All ewer finer Ewerpean houses, museums and Catholic (Anglo or Roman) churches boast ewer and basin combos.

-gailr

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:40 am

Well I for one shall not be a stewer o'er ewer strewers.

mark ewer-turn Bailey

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:04 am

I thought a ewer was a pitcher good at curve-balls. (It's the flaired spout of 'baccy juice that puts the spin on it.)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:53 pm

Shoot- there goes our chance to form a short-sweet synonym for ewemonger, one who sells ewes (and whose adjective is surely ewemongous)
...Fernando Valenzuela?
Well, there is a homophonous special show at the Ram's Head Tavern in Annapolis on December 25 for the original People of the Book ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:52 pm

What's the matter with that Sean Altman? Does he think that Asheville is chopped liver (or maybe lobster bisque)?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”