parthenogenesis

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

parthenogenesis

Postby eberntson » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:29 am

Can you say "parthenogenesis"? I knew you could...

This is topical because a Komodo Dragon names Flora in the Chester, England zoo has just performed this feat, plus since it is just before Christmas it is even more special.

Parthenogenesis or virgin birth (from the Greek pa??e??? parthenos, "virgin", + ?e?es?? genesis, "birth") describes the growth and development of an embryo or seed without fertilization by a male. Parthenogenesis occurs naturally in some species, including lower plants (called agamospermy), invertebrates (e.g. water fleas, aphids, some bees and parasitic wasps), and vertebrates (e.g. some reptiles, fish, and, very rarely, birds). Parthenogenetic populations must be all-female because there is no contribution from a male. The offspring may be capable of sexual reproduction, however, if that exists in the species. As with all types of asexual reproduction, there are both costs and benefits associated with parthenogenesis.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:20 am

either that or she was good at finding a male by climbing out of her pen. I hope they check on the dna.

mark now-we-will-find-some-mice-spontaneously-generated-in-a-bell-jar Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

eberntson
Lexiterian

I'm sure...

Postby eberntson » Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:39 am

Apparently & I would assume Komodo dragons are rare or non-existant in Chester, England. The zoo says they don't have any boy Komodos', they only have another girl. They are quite sure she is a virgin. :roll:

See http://www.chesterzoo.org/newsitem.asp?ID=257 for more detail. :wink:
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:37 pm

I would be interested in knowing if there is any connection between the word parthenogenesis and the Parthenon (either the one in Athens or the one in Nashville).

par·the·no·gen·e·sis
Pronunciation: "pär-th&-nO-'je-n&-s&s
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin, from Greek parthenos + Latin genesis genesis
: reproduction by development of an unfertilized usually female gamete that occurs especially among lower plants and invertebrate animals
- par·the·no·ge·net·ic /-j&-'ne-tik/ also par·the·no·gen·ic /-'je-nik/ adjective
- par·the·no·ge·net·i·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Par·the·non
Pronunciation: 'pär-th&-"nän
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin, from Greek ParthenOn
: a Doric temple of Athena built on the acropolis at Athens in the fifth century B.C.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:21 pm

I would be interested in knowing if there is any connection between the word parthenogenesis and the Parthenon (either the one in Athens or the one in Nashville).
The original (in Athens) was dedicated to Athena Parthenos, Athena the virign.

The term virgin, especially as applied to human females, has various nuances depending on the place and historical period. Some (especially those who share some of Athena's purported views) define virginity asa state of completeness in oneself, independent of male attachment.

As regards the komodo dragon story: parthenogenesis is not the only way some species can adjust to their environment to regulate their populations. Some are able to change genders as well.

-gailr
There may be a fine line between virgo and virago...

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Thu Dec 21, 2006 9:32 pm

Thank you, Gail! That's a big "duh" on my part.
Do you think it helps to actually completely read the original post of a thread?
I'm starting to think it might...

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:42 am

The term virgin, especially as applied to human females, has various nuances depending on the place and historical period. Some (especially those who share some of Athena's purported views) define virginity asa state of completeness in oneself, independent of male attachment.
If I remember correctly, weren't said temples also under the supervision of virgins?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:13 am

Some ancient religions reportedly sacrificed virgins, so it may not have been all fun and games for them.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:27 pm

A lifetime ago I read a very plausible theory on origins of what he called Marianity, specifically the author noted that in the translation of the original gospel from Hebrew to Greek, the problem arose that Hebrew had two words meaning "virgin": as I remember they were almah and bethulah , one of which meant a physical virgin of no sexual experience, and the other meaning an unmarried (or perhaps more specifically unchildrened) young woman, along the lines of our semi-archaic "maiden".

Wellsir, apparently the Hebrew original had used the latter (maiden), speaking simply of a young woman conceiving, an everyday happenstance; but the problem was that Greek only had parthenos, meaning more specifically the former. Thus when the Greek text was disseminated to its large audience, it was interpreted as physical virgin, synced with 'virgin birth' rumours already extant and popular with other deities of the time, and a star was born.

Anyway thus spake that guy. Perry?
Last edited by sluggo on Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:34 pm

Nowadays there are only vestige virgins.

mark gotta-lotta-voices Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:19 pm

Betulah is the physical, and almah is just a maiden. (At least in modern common usage.)
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Betulah is the physical, and almah is just a maiden. (At least in modern common usage.)
Thanks, I never could keep those two straight :roll:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:49 pm

... but the problem was that Greek only had parthenos, ...
Thanks for the clarification on betulah and almah, Perry.

If you've seen Kore statues in museums (or photos of them in art/history classes), you know that Greek does, in fact, have similar vocabulary options: girl / maiden = κόρη / κορίτσι; virgin = παρθένος. I was taught that the NT choice of virgin is due to the writers and editors of those books. A miracle is all well and good, but a really miraculous miracle makes for a better story.

I have wondered how the maid/virgin choice plays out in the Bibles of other, especially non-Romance, languages. Can any of our resident polyglots comment?

-gailr
ps: good joke, Bailey!

portokalos
Junior Lexiterian

Postby portokalos » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:50 am

Εντάξει υπάρχει και το παρθένο ελαιόλαδο.
"What is hell?" I maintain that it is the suffering of being unable to love.
Fyodor Dostoevsky-The Brothers Karamazov

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:39 am

Εντάξει υπάρχει και το παρθένο ελαιόλαδο.
True. I don't believe that she and Popeye the Sailor ever got it on. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”