Hogmanay

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Hogmanay

Postby sluggo » Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:41 pm

Hogmanay (HOG-man-aye)
New Year's tradition in Scotland of uncertain etymology:

The Scandinavian word for the feast preceding Yule was "Hoggo-nott" while the Flemish words (many have come into Scots) "hoog min dag" means "great love day". Hogmanay could also be traced back to the Anglo-Saxon, Haleg monath, Holy Month, or the Gaelic, oge maidne, new morning. ...in France the last day of the year when gifts were exchanged was "aguillaneuf" ...

- not to be too divorced from the attendant mass visitation First-Footing:

"First footing" (that is, the "first foot" in the house after midnight) is still common in Scotland. To ensure good luck for the house, the first foot should be male, dark (believed to be a throwback to the Viking days when blond strangers arriving on your doorstep meant trouble) and should bring symbolic coal, shortbread, salt, black bun and whisky.

First-foots brought symbolic gifts to 'handsel' the house: coal for the fire, to ensure that the house would be warm and safe, and shortbread or black bun (a type of fruit cake) to symbolise that the household would never go hungry that year.

Hmm- handsel.. handsel.. Origin: bef. 1050; ME handselne good-luck token, good-will gift, OE handselen manumission, lit., hand-gift (see hand, sell); c. Dan handsel, earnest money] --Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

The source of the first above is quite picturesque- check out the fireballs at Stonehaven.

Bliadhna Mhath Ùr!
Jackie, ur ye it thaur?
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:47 pm

Main th' reit sort ay fowk darken yer duir, sluggo.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:02 pm

Hogmanay (HOG-man-aye)
Actually, my source says the accent is on the ultimate syllable, and so we chant ...

Hey, hey, hey!
Happy Hogmanay!

and for Ne'erday and the days to come after, to one and all ...

Lang may your lum reek!

"Long may you have warmth upon your hearth and in your home!"

Literally, "Long may your chimney smoke!"
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:12 pm

on that line:
My Wish for You in 2007

May peace break into your house and may thieves come to steal your debts. May the pockets of your jeans become a magnet for $100 bills. May love stick to your face like Vaseline and may laughter assault your lips! May your clothes smell of success like smoking tires and may happiness slap you across the face and may your tears be that of joy. May the problems you had, forget your home address! In simple words ............

May 2007 be the best year of your life!!!

mark smoking-tires?-oh-well Bailey

something you may or not want to see New year's superstitions

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:23 pm

Loud Noise: Make as much noise as possible at midnight. You're not just celebrating; you're scaring away evil spirits, so do a darned good job of it!

According to widespread superstition, evil spirits and the Devil himself hate loud noise. We celebrate by making as much of a din as possible not just as an expression of joy at having a new year at our disposal, but also to make sure Old Scratch and his minions don't stick around. (Church bells are rung on a couple's wedding day for the same reason.)
So much for those preachers who condemned Rock 'n' Roll ...
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:05 pm

Loud Noise: Make as much noise as possible at midnight. You're not just celebrating; you're scaring away evil spirits, so do a darned good job of it!

According to widespread superstition, evil spirits and the Devil himself hate loud noise. We celebrate by making as much of a din as possible not just as an expression of joy at having a new year at our disposal, but also to make sure Old Scratch and his minions don't stick around. (Church bells are rung on a couple's wedding day for the same reason.)
So much for those preachers who condemned Rock 'n' Roll ...
So the de'il likes the peace and quiet? I knew he wuz my kinda guy. It all goes back to our primitive fear of the dark I guess.

Larry thanks for the clarification, it is indeed more of a double accent, though I have heard the dipthong done both ways. Do watch those antlers tonight!

Bailey, marvellous sentiment there, same back atchya and spread around to all. You've come up wi' a smokin' incantation that will never get tiring. Gailr, similar sentiments sent and I'm still jealous of dat Denver dandruff.

Cheers, if not 'peace'...
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:36 am

Nice wishes, but why do we have to wait until May? (or do I misconstrue?)

Happy New Year to Us All. And what he said!
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:27 am

Happy New Year you goofy person, Perry

mark late-night-silliness Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:29 am

Uh, yeah, I think this time ya do! :D
Regards//Larry

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”