Caisson

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Caisson

Postby skinem » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:24 pm

cais·son

Pronunciation: 'kA-"sän, -s&n, Brit also k&-'sün
Function: noun
Etymology: French, from Middle French, from Old Occitan, from caissa chest, from Latin capsa -- more at CASE
1 a : a chest to hold ammunition b : a usually 2-wheeled vehicle for artillery ammunition attachable to a horse-drawn limber; also : a limber with its attached caisson
2 a : a watertight chamber used in construction work under water or as a foundation b : a hollow floating box or a boat used as a floodgate for a dock or basin
3 : COFFER

Just got curious about this word while watching President Ford's funeral. RIP

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:50 pm

I learned that The Caissons Go Rolling Along in girl scouts.

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:10 pm

Gailr, I think I learned it in Cub Scouts. Of course, being a bunch of Air Force brats, we thought the AF official song was vastly superior to the Army's official song. I mean obviously. :lol:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:43 pm

Gailr, I think I learned it in Cub Scouts. Of course, being a bunch of Air Force brats, we thought the AF official song was vastly superior to the Army's official song. I mean obviously. :lol:
You mean, Up In The Air, Junior Birdman?

I remember singing Caissons along with Mitch Miller in my youth. My maternal grandfather was a captain in the field artillery in WWI, arriving in France just in time for the Armistance. The Jerries must have heard he was coming. :wink:

Ah, but there's nothing quite like the Marines' Hymn to stir the heart of Marine's son.

And of course, everyone who goes to a Navy basketball game knows that the midshipmen always sing their alma mater, "Navy Blue and Gold," at the end of every game, and that the last two words of the song are "BEAT ARMY!" 8)
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:07 pm

ok, Thanks for all your imput, I've kept quiet hoping this would stop, but well I was IN the Army so enough is enuff.

mark caissons-go-rolling Bailey

up in the air? Please! you are comparing the two?

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:57 pm

I didn't find this during my original search, but Google has a page on the history of the song along with several versions and links to other discusisons on the origin of Birdman, as well as the original Army Air Corps lyrics.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:08 am

I remember singing Caissons along with Mitch Miller in my youth. My maternal grandfather was a captain in the field artillery in WWI, arriving in France just in time for the Armistance. The Jerries must have heard he was coming. :wink:

Ah, but there's nothing quite like the Marines' Hymn to stir the heart of Marine's son.

And of course, everyone who goes to a Navy basketball game knows that the midshipmen always sing their alma mater, "Navy Blue and Gold," at the end of every game, and that the last two words of the song are "BEAT ARMY!" 8)
"Into the Air, Junior Birdman!? Tsk, tsk, spoken like one of the Misguided Children...

Of course, the last line of the Air Force Song is "Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force."

http://www.af.mil/questions/topic.asp?i ... rce%20Song

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:08 am

"Into the Air, Junior Birdman!? Tsk, tsk, spoken like one of the Misguided Children...

Of course, the last line of the Air Force Song is "Nothing'll stop the U.S. Air Force."

http://www.af.mil/questions/topic.asp?id=5

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”