phony or phoney

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

phony or phoney

Postby Bailey » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:27 pm

While I know phony means false/fake[which characterize most of the calls I receive-do-not-call indeed!] I wanted to know if there is any relation to phone-telephone,
pho·ny also pho·ney (fn)
adj. pho·ni·er, pho·ni·est
a. Not genuine or real; counterfeit: a phony credit card.
b. False; spurious: a phony name.
2. Not honest or truthful; deceptive: a phony excuse.
a. Insincere or hypocritical.
b. Giving a false impression of truth or authenticity; specious.
n. pl. pho·nies also pho·neys
1. Something not genuine; a fake.
a. One who is insincere or pretentious.
b. An impostor; a hypocrite.

[Alteration of fawney, gilt brass ring used by swindlers, from Irish Gaelic fáinne, ring, from Old Irish.]

phoni·ly adv.
phoni·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
but I got no real answer from this. but here First, the noun telephone is one of a class of technological and scientific words made up of combining forms derived from classical languages, in this case tele- and -phone. Tele- is from the Greek combining form tle- or tl-, a form of tle, meaning "afar, far off," while -phone is from Greek phn, "sound, voice."

mark can-I-interest-you-in-some-siding? Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: phony or phoney

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:35 pm

While I know phony means false/fake[which characterize most of the calls I receive-do-not-call indeed!] I wanted to know if there is any relation to phone-telephone, ...but I got no real answer from this. but here First, the noun telephone is one of a class of technological and scientific words made up of combining forms derived from classical languages, in this case tele- and -phone. Tele- is from the Greek combining form tle- or tl-, a form of tle, meaning "afar, far off," while -phone is from Greek phn, "sound, voice."

mark can-I-interest-you-in-some-siding? Bailey
[duck]
Or, in the words of they old joke, you can telephone, telegraph, telescope, and television, but you can't tell a woman anything ...
[/duck]

[Stargzer ducks the incoming cruise missives ...] :P
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:32 pm

I hear you can't tell a man anything too.

mark hears-stuff-like-that-at-home Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:20 am

Looks like seeing as how it's from Old Irish (not to be confused with Nouveau Iriche), then it's unrelated. Even though sending a voice over the radio is called telephony, a word that really should be reassigned to such phony calls.

At first I thought the topic was polling on spelling. I'm hooked on phony.

Larry- ducking with antlers on is... I dunno, reminds me of a couple of football teams I saw recently.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”