Publican

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Publican

Postby Perry » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:33 pm

It is interesting how this term has changed its meaning or connotations, moving from (gasp) tax collector to the (hopefully kindly) neighborhood pub keeper.
publican
c.1200, "tax-gatherer," from O.Fr. publician (12c.), from L. publicanus "a tax collector," originally an adj., "pertaining to public revenue," from publicum "public revenue," noun use of neuter of publicus (see public). Original sense in Matt. xviii 17, etc.; meaning "keeper of a pub" first recorded 1728.
Modern usage
In modern parlance, a publican is a manager of a pub or bar. In the United Kingdom a publican can also be called a landlord. The Publican is a weekly magazine, produced for the licensed drinks trade, published in London by CMPi, a subsidiary of United Business Media.

[edit] Ancient usage
In antiquity, publicans (Latin publicanus) were public contractors, in which role they often supplied the Roman military, managed the collection of port duties, and oversaw public building projects. In addition, they served as tax collectors for the Republic (and later the Empire), bidding on contracts (from the Senate in Rome) for the collection of various types of taxes. Importantly, this role as tax collectors wasn't emphasized until late into the history of the Republic (c. 1st century BC). By New Testament times, publicans were seen chiefly as tax collectors by provincial peoples. However, their role as public contractors, especially as regards building projects, was still significant. Nevertheless, with the rise of a much larger Imperial bureaucracy, this task of the publicans, as well as their overall importance, declined precipitately. Evidence for the existence of publicans extends as far back as the 3rd century BC, although it is generally assumed that they existed at still earlier times in Roman history. Knowledge of a tentative terminus post quem is taken from the histories of the 1st century AD Imperial historian Livy.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Publican"
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:07 pm

And if a publican finds profit in repeated military contracting he becomes a...?

-gailr
Perry, you can't set up jokes like this... 8)

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:24 am

Yes I can. This is a democracy, I mean a republic.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:35 pm

And if a publican finds profit in repeated military contracting he becomes a...?

-gailr
Perry, you can't set up jokes like this... 8)
vice president?
gimme a hint
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:34 pm

A republican!
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:45 pm

- a rich guy!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:15 pm

I'm not positive, but I think all Republican's aren't rich, just like "All Democrats don't live in trailer parks and appear on Jerry Springer as contestants"

mark just-sitting-here-on-the-fence-tick-tock Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:34 pm

I'm not positive, but I think all Republican's aren't rich, just like "All Democrats don't live in trailer parks and appear on Jerry Springer as contestants"

mark just-sitting-here-on-the-fence-tick-tock Bailey
um, true enough but actually I was still addressing the military contract question. Note that I painstakingly pretermitted the obvious Re-word, but also note that Perry is completing Gailr's oh-so-subtle pun (keyword: repeated) with a small r. :D

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:44 pm

re: Publicans
The keeper of a public house or tavern.
neither socially or financially, the grandest family in the city.
but like other words that completely change their meanings when a suffix is added....I'm ALL for subtlety.

mark always-for-the-underdog Baily

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”