denouement

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

denouement

Postby Bailey » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:25 am

de·noue·ment also dé·noue·ment (dn-mä)
n.
a. The final resolution or clarification of a dramatic or narrative plot.
b. The events following the climax of a drama or novel in which such a resolution or clarification takes place.
2. The outcome of a sequence of events; the end result.

[French dénouement, from Old French desnouement, an untying, from desnouer, to undo : des-, de- + nouer, to tie (from Latin ndre, from ndus, knot; see ned- in Indo-European roots).]

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2003. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
mark heading-for-his-own-denouement Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:39 pm

Bailey,
I'm heading for mine as well, however, mine is in the context of definition #2. No drama or excitement here!
Sigh...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:53 pm

well, Skinny we are all rushing to the end of our things. A sort of planned obsolescence that leaves all the final arrangements to those who are left. I know the drama for yours will be a great amount of sorrow and upheaval, although the departed shares in none of that excitement, eh? As children many of us liked to look forward and rush to get older.

mark sometimes-dragging-sometimes-rushing-to-the-endings Bailey

kb

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:28 pm

A sort of planned obsolescence that leaves all the final arrangements to those who are left. I know the drama for yours will be a great amount of sorrow and upheaval, although the departed shares in none of that excitement, eh?
According to family legends, some relatives take their sweet time coming to grips with their own denouement. Thus, I fully intend to enjoy my 'final arrangements'. I also plan to take note of those who did not attend for feeble reasons, and to haunt a specific male or two if they fail to throw themselves upon my casket in paroxisms of public grief. They had better be packing nice floral tributes, too. Mua ha ha...

-gailr
who looks for the silver lining amidst the clouds of grief...

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:56 pm

how exactly will this be accomplished?

mark skeptical Bailey

kb

Palewriter
Lexiterian

Postby Palewriter » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:55 pm

Surely, it must be everyone's ambition to get older. I'm certainly not a fan of the alternative.

I work primarily with 20- and 30-somthings, who seem constantly to be bemoaning their advanced years. Pshaw, is my only reply to that.

-- PW
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:13 pm

Surely, it must be everyone's ambition to get older. I'm certainly not a fan of the alternative.

I work primarily with 20- and 30-somthings, who seem constantly to be bemoaning their advanced years. Pshaw, is my only reply to that.

-- PW
Me, too. Children all. Mere children.

Gettin' old ain't for wimps.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:44 pm

-- PW
to those disingenuous children who pretend to be in their dotage and are still babies, A COLLECTIVE *PSHAW*!

mark agrees Bailey

kb

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:25 am

Being a very youthful 53 year old, I sanction those pshaws.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”