slavic

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

slavic

Postby Bailey » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:42 pm

{quote]slave (slv)
n.
1. One bound in servitude as the property of a person or household.
2. One who is abjectly subservient to a specified person or influence: "I was still the slave of education and prejudice" Edward Gibbon.
3. One who works extremely hard.
4. A machine or component controlled by another machine or component.
intr.v. slaved, slav·ing, slaves
1. To work very hard or doggedly; toil.
2. To trade in or transport slaves.

[Middle English sclave, from Old French esclave, from Medieval Latin sclvus, from Sclvus, Slav (from the widespread enslavement of captured Slavs in the early Middle Ages); see Slav.]
Word History: The derivation of the word slave encapsulates a bit of European history and explains why the two words slaves and Slavs are so similar; they are, in fact, historically identical. The word slave first appears in English around 1290, spelled sclave. The spelling is based on Old French esclave from Medieval Latin sclavus, "Slav, slave," first recorded around 800. Sclavus comes from Byzantine Greek sklabos (pronounced sklävs) "Slav," which appears around 580. Sklavos approximates the Slavs' own name for themselves, the Slovnci, surviving in English Slovene and Slovenian. The spelling of English slave, closer to its original Slavic form, first appears in English in 1538. Slavs became slaves around the beginning of the ninth century when the Holy Roman Empire tried to stabilize a German-Slav frontier. By the 12th century stabilization had given way to wars of expansion and extermination that did not end until the Poles crushed the Teutonic Knights at Grunwald in 1410.·As far as the Slavs' own self-designation goes, its meaning is, understandably, better than "slave"; it comes from the Indo-European root *kleu-, whose basic meaning is "to hear" and occurs in many derivatives meaning "renown, fame." The Slavs are thus "the famous people." Slavic names ending in -slav incorporate the same word, such as Czech Bohu-slav, "God's fame," Russian Msti-slav, "vengeful fame," and Polish Stani-slaw, "famous for withstanding [/quote]

I never knew this word came from the enslaved slavic peoples by the Romans, until I saw it on the History channel, funny what you learn when you get old.
B.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: slavic

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:12 pm

funny what you learn when you get old.
B.
Some of us haven't had to wait that long.

Slava
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:11 pm

funny what you learn when you get old.
B.
Some of us haven't had to wait that long.

Slava
ah, so nice

kb

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:29 pm

This used to be such a great site for conversing and learning,
I was checking in to see how it was doing

B.

kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:35 pm

It still is, it's just a little slower than in the past. Quality over quantity, we hope! :lol:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:22 pm

B.
Sorry to hear you are disappointed in us. Are we not living up to your expectations? What has led to your having doubts? Why did you abandon the site for some 4 months? As the leading poster, with nearly 10% of all posts, doesn't it behoove you to attempt to uphold the tenor of the site?

I hope you deem us worthy of your presence, as many of your posts have been enjoyed by at least one member of the Agora.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:26 am

Sometimes things come up that take time from The Agora. I've had my own absences at times. At lot of people from the earliest times have faded from active participation, although I've seen a few of them referenced from time to time by the Doc, but Palewriter, Garzo, and Grant seem to have dropped off the face of the Earth.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:52 pm

B.
Sorry to hear you are disappointed in us. Are we not living up to your expectations? What has led to your having doubts? Why did you abandon the site for some 4 months? As the leading poster, with nearly 10% of all posts, doesn't it behoove you to attempt to uphold the tenor of the site?

I hope you deem us worthy of your presence, as many of your posts have been enjoyed by at least one member of the Agora.
been busy I didn't abandon anything, and I never said anything deprecatory I'm sorry you took it that way.

B.

kb

tkowal
Lexiterian

Postby tkowal » Sun May 25, 2014 9:04 am

It should be mentioned that there exists also the word słowo (Polish), slovo (Russian, Ukrainian, Czech, Slovak, ...) which means "word". As a matter of fact the word Slav in Polish is Słowianin which expresses the idea of a community sharing the same speech.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun May 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Welcome tkowal! And welcome to the fascinating post. Thanks for rediscovering the slave thread for us ax well. We'll look forward to more edification from you!
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”