Charger, charge

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Charger, charge

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 pm

My wife added to the decorations today by setting the plates on chargers, large dishlike things that extend three or four inches around the plates. I got to thinking we also call those things we plug cell phones into "chargers," and likewise the word applies to prancing horses, especially military ones.

Then I looked up charge in our online dictionaries here and found 17 definitions for its use as a verb, and 15 as a noun! The etymologies all go through old English to French meaning to load. The word to me is fascinating for its wide variety of usage. I can't help but wonder whether it is indeed only one word with one derivation. And btw, my original thought about the big plate as a charger is declared obsolete by two dictionaries. I'm old, but that old?
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Charger, charge

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:31 am

You are really old when your dish is a trencher. Google it and you get several definitions but the one I am most familiar with is the one Shakespeare would have eaten on. It was a shallow bowl carved out of wood. A person with a good appetite was called a trencherman. Does trench mouth come from the disease caught from eating out of hard to clean bowls or from mouth infections caught while living in the trenches. I would look it up but I am late for an appointment, so would someone do it for me?
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”