Blasphemy

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

Re: Blasphemy

Postby eberntson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Philip, thank you, that is the clear and concise response with examples that I was hoping for. Excellent! I am a seeker of truth with strong roots in Christianity, and am exploring the basic tenants of the major religions. I have an interest in the pagan roots of the Catholic religion too.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 pm

I am ... exploring the basic tenants of the major religions.
Please do not take offense, but I have a nit to pick here. I do believe you meant to write "tenets". Or are you really interested in people who "live the life"?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Another difference for heresy is that it is considered the result of thinking differently to an established norm. Although it's traditionally had more serious repercussions when deviating from a religious standard, the term applies to other disciplines as well.

Orthodox:
adjective
1. Adhering to the accepted or traditional and established faith, especially in religion.
2. Adhering to the Christian faith as expressed in the early Christian ecumenical creeds.
from Greek: right + opinion

Heterodox
adjective
1. Not in agreement with accepted beliefs, especially in church doctrine or dogma.
2. Holding unorthodox opinions.
from Greek: different + opinion

I am a seeker of truth with strong roots in Christianity, and am exploring the basic tenants of the major religions. I have an interest in the pagan roots of the Catholic religion too.
Best wishes in your studies; how religious thinking has shaped -- and been shaped by -- each culture is quite a story. I do have to smile a bit at that second sentence; I still remember a few classmates who were, if you'll pardon the pun, hell-bent on "converting" Catholics to Christianity. (It smacks of a teenage garage band singer lecturing Luciano Pavarotti on music theory.) The Reformation was a desperately needed correction to break the ossifying, dominating Roman monopoly on every aspect of the Western world. At the same time, that early, heretical Jewish cult called Christians would not have survived, let alone become a dominant force, if not for the Classical institutions that shaped and then promulgated it.

Now for some wordplay to close this post: "Not Under Hamartial Law." :wink:

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:27 pm

I had not intended to post to this thread again since it has pretty much run its course. However, I have some statistics that might interest some of you. Out of 45 European nations, 8 have anti-blasphemy laws and 35 have religious anti-defamation laws. Some of the countries are coming to their senses. Russia had an anti-blasphemy law in the works and has suspended it. The Dutch have rescinded a 1992 law that made it a crime to "insult God" (I wonder how one could insult God?), and Ireland's newly elected leaders are planning to abolish their anti-blasphemy law. - Christianity Today Vol. 57, Number 2, March 2013, page 11.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”