Matriculate

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Matriculate

Postby Slava » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:59 pm

I've had this one in mind for a while, and now that it has come up in a recent Goodword of the day, lustrum, I guess it is time to toss it out there to see if anyone will salute it. :)

I believe this is a word that is often misused and misunderstood. Perhaps an operation by our Good Doctor would be of use here?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Matriculate

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:00 pm

To teenage minds, all -ate words sound mildly dirty (as do 90% of all words). We used to tell younger folks in late August that we were about to matriculate. Plus we proclaimed we loved to osculate.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:56 pm

The result of matriculation should be eventual graduation. I never heard the sentence, "I graduated high school," until recently. I think it's a Yankee incursion. Does a person graduate her/his high school? By what authority? I was taught to say, "I was graduated from high school." The school officials did the graduating. Does the act of graduating one's self sound like someone scratching a chalkboard to anyone else.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Does the act of graduating one's self sound like someone scratching a chalkboard to anyone else.
Not to me, but I expect I'm a generation or so after you. While I do know the usage, I have to admit I say, "I graduated in such-and-such year." I have never said, "was graduated."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:17 pm

I have usually said, "I graduated from Baylor." i put in the work, and they handed me a diploma and let me go.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:50 pm

I graduated from Texas A & I. I graduated as far from it as possible and still be in Texas.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”