tranquil

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

tranquil

Postby William Hupy » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:30 am

I am studying Spanish - or attempting to - and came upon the Spanish word "tranquilo", which, big surprise translates to "quiet" in English. This led me to suspect a Latin origin, which proved true, but also English gained two words via French from the Latin mother: quiet and tranquil. I was curious what happened to the "quietus" gene in Latin's other daughters and sons, or better yet the progeny of the PIE root: qwi. The latter was not obvious and apparent, but, naturally the common Romance languages all had variations of "tranquil".
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: tranquil

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:04 am

Can't help on tranquilo, but I commend your study of Spanish. Classical Spanish to me is the most beautiful language in the world, and it's poetry is out of this world. By all available means find some spanish love poetry or religious poetry. Magnificent. Make sure to read the vowels as ah, ae, eee, oh, oo!
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:17 am

Let's not forget Shakespeare and his bare bodkin with which to make one's quietus. A tad beyond tranquil, I'd say.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:11 am

If your rich uncle "puts the quietus" on you, there will be nothing for you in his will when the quietus is put on him.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”