calumny

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

calumny

Postby William Hupy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:06 am

I am not certain how to pronounce this. Regardless, it seems to be more commonly used in the plural: calumnies. Which brings another question. When an "m" and an "n" appear in that order next to one another in English isn't there a tendency to drop the "n" sound altogether, as in column; or the "m" as in mnemonic?
William A. Hupy

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: calumny

Postby Slava » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:41 am

KAL-um-knee.

My guess here is that the mn is pronounced because of the y. Column's n does become evident in the form columnated. Not that I can see why one would use that form instead of columned.

As to plural v singular, I can easily imagine both, but I can't recall actually having seen either in recent times.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:53 pm

Hmmn...mnemoic is a nice touch. When you guys are discussing theological matters, do you pronounce the n in damn or damned? I think Lady Macbeth made dam-ned two syllables for the iambics. Possibly because I was taught by the phonics method and tend to subconsciously verbalize when I read, I often select words for how they sound in the sentence as much as their specific meaning. So usually I would say the columned form but sometimes depending on how the sentence rolls, I might indeed say columnated.
pl

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:15 am

I don't recall Lady Macbeth having pronounced damned with two syllables in any performance of Macbeth that I have seen.

That reminds me of a story. A man and his wife were watching a movie of Macbeth on TV. Their little dog was at their feet. During Lady Macbeth's sleepwalk scene she shouted, "Out, damned spot! Out, I say". So the little dog got up and left the room.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”