frottage

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:16 am

def 1, so that's what its called. There are few non-painful things are more degrading and humiliating than this, The first time I experienced it I was 8. :shock: indeed!

Kt
EWE!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: frottage

Postby Stargzer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:36 pm

Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:21 pm

I learned the terms "frottage and grattage" as an art major, but even then the former was edging towards describing...mmm...alternative lifestyles.

I looked up the Wikipedia's definition and was charmed by the following:
This article is about the art technique. For the sexual practice of frottage, please see Frotteurism

In art, frottage (from the French frotter, to rub) is a surrealist and "automatic" method of creative production developed by Max Ernst in which one takes a pencil or other drawing tool and makes a "rubbing" over a textured surface. The drawing can either be left as is or used as the basis for further refinement. While superficially similar to brass rubbing, frottage differs in being aleatory in nature.
Your mom's warning about them dirty-minded artists is borne out yet again; even aleatory refers to chance encounters. :oops:

For more exciting incursions into the immoral world of art, consult this handy reference table for other stimulating possibilities.

gailr
off to experiment with some coulage: lait chocolaté

uncronopio
Lexiterian

Postby uncronopio » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:43 pm

I consider myself an expert on involuntary sculpture, movement of liquid down a vertical surface, cut-up technique and automatism. The last two are excellent for writing pointless reports.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:18 pm

Hmmm . . .
. . .
14 Exquisite corpse
19 Indecipherable writing
20 Involuntary sculpture
21 Latent news
22 Mimeogram
. . .
24 Outagraphy
Number 14 is an "online incarnation of now defunct print magazine, a review of letters and life edited by Andrei Codrescu."

Number 19 is what I have in spite of 8 valiant years of effort by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. . . .

Number 20 sounds like a misdemeanor at best, a class II felony at worst . . .

Number 21 is a synonym for a news story in the making, yet to be published . . .

Number 22 sounds like a possibly painful medical procedure performed on mute actors . . .

(There is a cartoon entitled "IF WOMEN CONTROLLED MEDICINE" which shows a man with a funny look on his face standing in from of a machine with two parallel plates with the label "The Manogram." :shock: )

Number 24: pictures which expose a violation of the US Military's "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy. . . .
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:59 pm

As some philosophers have put it, you don't know something until you have experienced it, so now I think I know what frottage is. I boarded a packed bus this afternoon and had to squeeze myself through. There were two options, either to frottage myself against a fifty something lady with horrible hair or against a sweet 18 odd beaut in tight pants that was miraculously standing there in ahead of me. Guess which one I picked.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:04 am

How fortuitous that she did not respond with étrécissements.

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:48 am

Yes, Gailr, we wouldn't want our BD turned into a BDette!

And Dude, I just have to know -- was she an exquisite corpse...? :)

-Tim

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:48 am

Well, since I had to elbow my way through, I chose the least painless method.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:39 am

OK, I have learned my lesson! From now I am will refrain from reading The Alpha Agora until I have completed my matutinal coffee as my desk and monitor can not handle any more spillage. Honestly, I didn't think I would be getting such a giggle from this forum!
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:42 pm

How fortuitous that she did not respond with étrécissements.

Gailr, to my mind you're confusing «fortuitous» with «fortunate» here. But think of the consequences if our BD had fortuitously been required to take a manogram just after leaving the bus ! Just the thought of it is certainly sufficient to make Sunny spill that matutinal caffein supplement all over again....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:48 pm

Everything seems to be converging to my prostate lately.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:58 pm

And you so young, BD !...

Henri

PS : Given the rate of population growth in Brazil, I can't help wondering if your aunt doesn't perhaps run a medical advice column in one of the more popular journals in the country....
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:04 pm

Is 1.06% a lot? I understand it's yearly, right? I'm sorry to inform I'm not contributing much to that growth.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”