presbyter

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

presbyter

Postby William Hupy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:02 am

This came to us from Latin, as adapted from Greek. Aside from the religious context of "elder" does anyone know if it has any other usage in English?
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: presbyter

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Of course Presbyterians use the word for the name of their denomination. They are descendants of the separatists, also known as Pilgrims and Puritans, who take their theology from John Calvin. Their regional districts are called presbyteries, and while I do not think they have bishops, they do have leaders perhaps known as superintendents. Our local area is named the Presbytery of the Pines. I believe they are governed by a church council of some sort, possibly also called the presbytery, but they are generally pretty democratic. Their general doctrine and stance is pretty much mainstream Protestant. Any Presbyterians out there should feel free to correct me.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: presbyter

Postby Slava » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:29 pm

To answer William's query, I have never come across this word used in a non-religious sense. I'm not even sure I've seen it in use at all. It's always part of the name of the religious sect.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”