binky

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

binky

Postby eberntson » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Wordnik defines the the "binky" as follows:
Definitions from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

n. A stuffed animal, blanket, or toy that a small child is more attached to than any other, and often sleeps with.
n. A high hop that a rabbit may perform when happy.
v. To perform a high hop, as when happy.

Etymologies
Sorry, no etymologies found.
It is in regular use by millions of parents and children, is a nickname for a few cheerful people, and it's is just not defined in any major dictionary.

Binky is a brand name of pacifiers, so that explains that source for it being in common use, similar to xerox, kleenex, etc. And, then again that is just marketing cooping a common word used in child-rearing; my binky was a blanket.

Is it from some children's book that is in the English language? Obviously the book involves rabbits! Why isn't it more common in dictionaries? The word has 5.96M hits in Google, so the word is common.

The word "bink" means a bench, or in slang a sharp dressed man. So as a root that's not helpful, except perambulators (containing baby(s) and presumably at least one binky) and sharp dressed men can be found in proximity to park benches, but that is a very loose connection. And then "y", well, that is my question?

Guesses, anyone?
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: binky

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:28 am

No thoughts on the etymology, but to me binky only means pacifier, as in the thing babies suck on.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: binky

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Same here, Slava. Only pacifiers, to pacify the adults who want to stop the screaming. I've often thought a larger version would do for some adults...
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”