Teutonic

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Teutonic

Postby William Hupy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:21 am

Is it legitimate to use this word in reference to anything German?
William A. Hupy

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Teutonic

Postby Slava » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:36 am

If you are asking about "anything", I'd say no. Unless you're being facetious you probably wouldn't introduce someone as your Teutonic friend. We also can't say things like Teutonic coins or stamps.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:57 am

I'd consider using it to describe an alcoholic drink with a niggardly amount of gin.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:22 am

Groan.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

eberntson
Lexiterian

Postby eberntson » Thu May 08, 2014 3:03 pm

No, it would be improper to use this word in reference to "everything" German. My blood lines cross the area where the Teutoni once roamed. It is best to use it only when referring to the common Teutonic roots of German speaking peoples in Europe and the common association of cultural, literary, and language roots.

You should be aware the some European associate Teutonic history with cultural propaganda that the Kaiser and the Nazis used to justify German aggression against parts of France, Easter Europe, and England (Saxon roots). In addition, the SS saw themselves as an extension of the Teutonic Knights of Old. Basically, this canbe a loaded word. Use it correctly and best to use it in a historical, language, or literary context. I would not just bandy this word about willy-nilly to refer to everything German; mainly, because everything German is not Teutonic.
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”