Birthday

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David McWethy
Lexiterian

Birthday

Postby David McWethy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:41 am

I take it as some sort of Sign that: I would think of this word today; and upon searching through the Good Word Dictionary would find that it's apparently never been selected as a Good Word before.

This being the case, it presents me with the unique opportunity to post this suggestion at 10:12 a.m. on April 29 (Eastern Time), making it my 100th posting, falling exactly TO THE MINUTE two years after having become an Alpha Agora member (depending upon how quickly it’s posted after the Submit button is pressed).

I've never seen the lines of demarcation listed, but I AM hoping that the 100th posting means that I will no longer have to wear the slightly patronizing rank of "Junior" Lexitarian. We'll see.

It's been a challenging, enjoyable, thoroughly refreshing, and enlightening 24 months, filled with the hope of being able to contribute something worthwhile. I want to thank each one of you for the courtesy and support shown this "newbie", and although Dr. Beard never recanted his Olympian pronouncement that "minced meat does not contain meat", perhaps that's one of the delightful surprises in store during Year #3....

Thanks to you all, & Happy Birthday to Me!

(I'd ask you to sing along with me, but--can you BELIEVE this? The song "Happy Birthday To You" is effing COPYRIGHTED!)
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Birthday

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:40 pm

First, I note you are now listed without the Junior. Congratulations.

Second, I think copyright, like those rules you agree to, but never read, apply only to commercial use. Ergo, I doubt seriously our singing and even posting on YouTube would qualify as commercial use. More likely we'd be sued for disturbing the peace - or pieces.
pl

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:05 pm

No doubt you're correct (but then there WAS a time when an American citizen could be imprisoned for quaffing a cold one).

I bring it to the Alpha Agora's attention in the hopes that someone much (much, much) smarter than I could imagine ANY set of circumstances wherein one person would say to another "Ya know, that's kinda catchy! Maybe we ought to get it copyrighted so famous celebrities like--oh, Marilyn Monroe--couldn't publicly sing it to....well, the President of the United States".

I can see that this is going to be one of those little synapse-termites, gnawing its way through my medulla oblongatta: Is there ANY reason to have a piece of music copyrighted other than to keep others from using it without permission (and quite often, compensation)?

If the answer to that question is in the negative, under what POSSIBLE scenario would the copyright holder withhold permission?

I can see that too much of my time is going to be wasted on this one....

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Actually, there is currently a huge war going on over copyright infringement by internet companies, most famously Pandora, that stream music with minimum payment to the sources. Songwriters, producers, and musicians feel they are being robbed so people can hear their stuff for free, or close to it. As most of you know, you can watch and/or listen to most any piece of music free on YouTube.

Likewise, Google began a project to scan every book online and quickly ran into similar problems.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:08 pm

I'm not up on the music aspect, but I do know that MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech cannot be played on YouTube or anywhere without permission from his estate.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 am

That's a little too close to home for me, so please forgive the strident edge in this remark, but if the information is true as stated--and considering the source there's no doubt in MY mind about its veracity--then the MLKJr. estate has done more to keep Dr, King's most eloquent, stirring, and moving words from getting the dissemination they deserved (by denying them to the wide-spread audience that they deserve) than Sam Bowers (The Grand Wizard of the White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, likely ever in his wildest paranoid dreams imagined possible.

I'd post a picture of what this two-legged viper looks like, but neither the "Img" or "URL" options above seemed to do any good in accomplishing this here, and at this time of night I've run out of "smarts".

Mac

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”