marzipan

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Eileen Opiolka
Lexiterian

marzipan

Postby Eileen Opiolka » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Marplot on June 26 reminded me of marzipan, Mark's bread, and I wondered whether it has already been suggested. Marzipan and currants divide our family sharply when it comes to cakes, especially Christmas cake.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: marzipan

Postby Slava » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:05 pm

How sweet it is! This one has a history clouded in multiple theories. I wonder if anyone can tell which is the right one.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:01 am

I blush to say that at my advanced age and experience with the English language, I have never seen or heard the word marzipan before now. Do Americans use the word or the product it describes? I am aware that cakes in England are much more elaborate than they are in the USA. A simple pound cake suffices for me.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:14 am

I admit I've never used the real thing, but I've seen the word, and candies made of it, many times.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:43 am

I'd raise an eyebrow that the word is entirely new to anyone; we'd put marzipan on fruited occasion cakes in general (wedding, Christmas) and Simnel Cake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simnel_cake) in particular. I'd have thought such a cake would be meat and bread to those of a religious persuasion - it's clearly a more local thing.
Iain

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”