xoxo

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
eberntson
Lexiterian

xoxo

Postby eberntson » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:47 am

Means "hugs and kisses" used to represent familiarity, faith, love, friendship, and affection.

It is pretty much similar to OK, and in Google it has 17M hits, that's more than "irregardless" (1.4M hits). Just putting it out there for some discussion. It is not like TTFN which is an abbreviation. X's are kisses, and O's are hugs but it stand on it's own. At least LOL & TTFN are the abbreviation of the words. "X" has been used as a mark for a signature, or someones "mark".

Can't find any history, for something so commonplace.

E
EBERNTSON
Fear less, hope more;
eat less, chew more;
whine less, breathe more;
talk less, say more,
and all good things will be yours.
--R. Burns

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: xoxo

Postby Slava » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:58 pm

About time I got around to looking this one up. It turns out there are lots of sites out there claiming to have the answer, or answers, but I have to admit that Wikipedia's article makes the most sense:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugs_and_kisses
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Postby William Hupy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:13 am

I respectfully disagree. Xs are for hugs and Os for kisses. The latter represents the shape your mouth assumes when providing your loved one a wet one and the former is the manner in which your arms cross when squeezing your squeeze.
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:07 am

I respectfully disagree with your respectful disagreement. (Doc's got me noticing the different forms of the two words...) Since I was a kid, I've been told X means a kiss. The O came later. I speculated it arose from someone who felt affectionate, but not kisswise. A hug would do.
pl

William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Postby William Hupy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:19 am

So, when I sign my name to an important legal document with an X, does that mean I am kissing it? I would rather hug it.
William A. Hupy

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:55 am

Kissing the document, or more exactly, your signature, is how the x got its start.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Postby William Hupy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:05 am

By kissing it? Slava, next you are going to tell me that the word testify got its start from the Roman practice of men holding their testicles while testifying. See also, last will and TESTAMENT.
William A. Hupy

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”