snit

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David McWethy
Lexiterian

snit

Postby David McWethy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:31 am

It's not in the GW Dictionary, but recognition must be given to my 5th-grade English teacher, who instructed her students to "illustrate the use of the word", thereby giving more than one student an opportunity to submit a drawing of a angry woman with frizzled hair, at the wheel of what looked like a cross between a Packard and a Studebaker--truly a succinct "illustration" of "a woman driving off in a Snit".
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: snit

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:59 am

Definitely a fun and very useful word. It would be great if the Dr. could come up with new research on its origins. They look buried at present.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:56 am

I've frequently felt that another word with mental-graffiti potential is "Huff"; I can easily imagine 5th-graders fulfilling the teacher's instruction to produce an "illustration of its usage" by submitting a picture of a scowling, swarthy, hirsute, cigar-chomper, roaring away in a Huff (a vehicle which most resembles an overloaded moving van).

My personal favorite is the difference between "prostitute" and "prostrate": Depending on the context and the quantity of alcohol consumed (much like "the difference between a dog and a fox is six beers") the first would be a fallen woman while the second would simply refer to one who had temporarily lost her balance.

(For ten points extra credit, name the source of that jewel of a play on words).
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 am

Can one go off in both a huff and a snit? It feels right to me.

As to the quote, it sounds like something from Hollywood Squares. Wasn't it Paul Lynde who did this kind of thing a lot?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:31 pm

If one can go off in a Huff, he can go off in a Huff and a Puff, which brings to mind the pufferbillies of the children's song.
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”