tangible

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

tangible

Postby William Hupy » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:24 am

This is clearly of Latin origin and a useful word. My question is whether the Latin "tangere"meaning "to touch" has any other progeny in the Romance languages? Specifically whether the Spanish word "tengo" (infinitive "tener" - to hold, to have) is related?
William A. Hupy

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: tangible

Postby Slava » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:20 pm

I'm no expert, but it would appear that your hypothesis is not suitable in this instance. Tangible comes from "tangere", whereas the English for holding, say "tenant", comes from "tenir." Then again, as your question is about Spanish, to quote the Pope, "Who am I to judge?"
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: tangible

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:28 pm

Tener, tengo means first to have and sometimes to hold. I suspect it may be related to tanger. Someone versed in PIE might connect them. Since I studied Hebrew and found the old language had no vowels, I began to notice the shape of words with only consonants. Not infallible, but often gives insights. I would guess vowels are more mutable than consonants. Just today I heard a woman say think you instead of thank you. I occasionally hear that and wonder where it comes from. Usually pronounced with high pitched nasal accent like Lily Tomkins as the phone operator.
pl

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Re: tango/tengo

Postby Audiendus » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:46 am

The Spanish verb derived from Latin tangere is tañer – to strum (a musical instrument) or to ring (a bell). Tangere comes from Proto-Indo-European tag- (to touch), according to Wiktionary.

The Spanish tener (to have), from Latin tenere (to hold), comes from PIE ten- (to stretch or draw).

So the two sets of words seem to be unrelated. One has to do with the idea of touching, tapping or striking, and the other has to do with holding, grasping or pulling.

bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

Re: tango/tengo

Postby bailey66 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:05 pm

The Spanish tener (to have), from Latin tenere (to hold), comes from PIE ten- (to stretch or draw).

So the two sets of words seem to be unrelated. One has to do with the idea of touching, tapping or striking, and the other has to do with holding, grasping or pulling.

These both are in keeping with the very definition of tangible, ???

M. Bailey
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, Isa30:15

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”