Curtilage

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Curtilage

Postby Slava » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:14 pm

Mentioned once in a post by MTC, this one came up in an article from the WaPo I just read. Part of a judge's decision on police misconduct reads, "the invasion of Plaintiffs’ curtilage without a warrant violated the Fourth Amendment."

Great word, IMnsHO.

Here is the whole article, should you wish to read it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Curtilage

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:38 pm

I knew camoflage, persiflage, but not what you said. You made me look it up, so I'll share with others who are shaking their heads.
In law, the curtilage of a house or dwelling is the land immediately surrounding it, including any closely associated buildings and structures, but excluding any associated "open fields beyond", and also excluding any closely associated buildings, structures, or divisions that contain the separate intimate activities of its own respective occupants with those occupying residents being persons other than those residents of the house or dwelling of which the building is associated. It delineates the boundary within which a home owner can have a reasonable expectation of privacy and where "intimate home activities" take place. It is an important legal concept in certain jurisdictions for the understanding of search and seizure, conveyancing of real property, burglary, trespass, and land use planning.
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Curtilage

Postby Slava » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:44 pm

Thank you for your post, I'm glad you took the time to look it up and make a report. In this day and age, here in the You Ess of Ey, I feel it is an important word to know.

Very nice write up, by the way. 8)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”