Nomenclature

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David McWethy
Lexiterian

Nomenclature

Postby David McWethy » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:04 am

A little bird tweeted in my ear that the word from which this suggested Good Word was derived is still as alive and well today as it was in the days of Augustus and Cicero.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Nomenclature

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:25 pm

You referring to "taxonomy"?
pl

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:27 am

Not even close. "Nomenclature" was derived from this word, which was a sine quae non (literally: That without which, not; something crucial to the functioning of those wishing to achieve election to the loftier planes of higher political office in earlier Rome).

I'd be glad to share it with all & sundry immediately after slava requests that I do so :lol:

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:30 am

Since neither Dr. G nor my mentor, Slava, appear to be interested in supplying the derivation of the word, I'll toss out what I know about it and its function in ancient Rome

In ancient Rome a man seeking office formally donned a special white “toga candidata" (from which we get our word candidate), as it was especially important to have lots of public exposure particularly during the campaign

A candidate could not have too many political friends. Among the most effective ways to give the impression of a widespread support base was for the candidate to be seen walking with those who were "men of consequence in the community".

This entourage of presumed friends and supporters was designed to be so that friendships could easily be noted. The Roman electorate tended to favour a perceived winner, and so big followings readily grew as more people wanted to join the winning side.

When a candidate proceeded through the heart of the City in this way, he would greet passers-by--again wishing to be seen associating with as many prominent people as possible. A special type of slave, known as a nomenclator, had the job of whispering in his master's ear the names of people so that they could be greeted properly.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”