four flusher

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

four flusher

Postby William Hupy » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:55 am

I was watching a Harold Lloyd movie last night and heard (or, rather saw, as it was a silent movie, Dr. Jack) this term: four flusher. I was vaguely familiar with the word and paid no attention when people would use "floor" flusher. It refers to someone who boasts or brags without the goods to back it up. It comes from poker as you need five cards to make a flush.
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: four flusher

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:50 pm

A four flusher is a con man. Probably from the fact that a flush in poker is five cards of the same suit. Thus, when a player has four cards of the same suit on the table before him and bets strongly to bluff because his other card doesn't match, that's a four flusher.
pl

bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bailey66 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:03 am

A four flusher is a con man. Probably from the fact that a flush in poker is five cards of the same suit. Thus, when a player has four cards of the same suit on the table before him and bets strongly to bluff because his other card doesn't match, that's a four flusher.
The darty bagger!

M.B.
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, Isa30:15

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:55 am

I apologise in advance for the euphemism, but I must admit I would not have guessed this one - to me the obvious definition would have been the resulting situation after shedding a particularly heavy load. I don't gamble though.
Iain

bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bailey66 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:18 pm

Call_copse, too funny, i gotta say that you have a very interesting sense of humor.

M.Loves-to-laugh Bailey
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, Isa30:15

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:03 pm

Well, the poker illustration is more logical and nicer than the toilet derivation.
pl

bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bailey66 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:20 pm

Well, the poker illustration is more logical and nicer than the toilet derivation.

My father would have disagreed his humor of choice was all the potty sort. But i agree, the mental video, not my favorite, of flushing four times brings back memories of being a janitor in a downtown office building.

M. A-one-flusher Bailey

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:41 pm

It is with great trepidation that I contradict my many betters, but as it is used in gambling a four-flusher is a person who has four cards of the same suit, with the fifth concealed in his (or her) hand until eventually it's "read 'em & weep" time.

The player with the four same-suit showing, (but an off-suit still concealed in his hand) who bets heavily after the last card is dealt is merely trying to bluff when holding a four flush hoping that doing so will either (a) convince the remaining players that he has his flush--causing them to fold; or that the odds of him having his flush appear to be certain enough that it's not worth the risk of losing a substantial amount on the turning of one card.

In neither case is the term "four-flusher" considered by the other players to be pejorative; the reaction from the other players is more likely "praising with faint damnation", as it takes more than just a small amount of steely nerves, gravitas and guts.

Outside the card-game arena, a four-flusher is looked on with much greater approbation, as it refers to making a false claim--usually in the business sector--by a swindler, con-man; or someone who preys on the ignorant and/or gullible.

It has also been known to pay most of a starving graduate student's academic tuition and books.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:49 pm

Sounds like you've been there, done that!
pl

bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bailey66 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:29 pm

I've always heard the phrase as "damning with faint praise", but i live an insular life.

M.whatever Bailey

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:07 am

David, didn't you mean DISapprobation, meaning disapproval?
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:35 am

David, didn't you mean DISapprobation, meaning disapproval?
I suspect not, and that would be why he reversed the praise phrase, too.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:56 am

PL:

Of course I did. The fact that I wrote that entry on the same day I had to call 9-1-1 for an ambulance to take me to the ER because of presenting the symptoms of controlled-substance (prescribed) medication withdrawal could have something to do with it.

(I simply got immersed in something; failed to get the prescription refilled before I took the last pill--on a Friday when the doctor's office was closed. And thereby learned a lesson one just can't get out of a book.)

Mac
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:25 pm

Well, it did make for an exciting day...
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”