voir dire

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

voir dire

Postby bailey66 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:48 pm

I saw this and hoped Dr.Beard would help me understand this by writing it up as a WOTD.
Voir dire (/ˈvwɑr ˌdiər/) is a legal phrase that refers to a variety of procedures connected with jury trials. It originally referred to an oath taken by jurors to tell the truth (Latin: verum dicere), i.e., to say what is true, what is objectively accurate or subjectively honest, or both. It comes from the Anglo-Norman language.

The word voir (or voire), in this combination, comes from Old French and derives from Latin verum, "that which is true". It is not immediately related to the modern French word voir, which derives from Latin vidēre ("to see"), though the expression is now often interpreted by false etymology to mean "to see [them] say".

mark related-to-hearsay? BAILEY
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, Isa30:15

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: voir dire

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:19 am

Doesn't this refer to the selection of a jury from a panel? Or empanneling a jury from a pool? In our state, and probably most, the clerk of court randomly selects a pool from registerd voters or drivers licenses or some other source. For a 12 member jury they may call, say, 36 for the voire dire during which the lawyers question each potential juror for possible bias. Each lawyer is given the possibility to reject a specific number without giving a reason, but can challenge others for cause. When both sides have agreed on the required number the judge swears the empaneled jurors in so the trial can proceed. You lawyers out there can and will correct me.
pl

bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bailey66 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:06 pm

Well, it's all Greek to me. I DID TAKE Latin in High School, lo, these many years ago. And French. (I was in an experimental class with No written words, learned to speak it not to read it, which made for some awkward moments in College). I'm so cornfusded.

M. Whose-brain-isn't-wired-that-way Bailey
In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, Isa30:15

William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Postby William Hupy » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:10 am

In Wisconsin and Michigan voire dire simply refers to the individual questioning of a juror to ascertain whether he or she qualifies for jury duty. It may also refer to the questioning of a witness to ascertain if that witness is qualified to provide, for instance, expert testimony.
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:00 pm

I think that usage is widely prevalent.
pl

bailey66
Junior Lexiterian

Postby bailey66 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:49 pm

I think that usage is widely prevalent.

And yet i still have no clue. Id love to be able to use it in a sentance: that makes sense. But I suspect I'll mever have any reason to use it.

MB

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:38 pm

Should you get called for jury duty, you might say, "The judge excused me from the rest of the voir dire when he found out the DA was a friend of mine. (Actually happened.")
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”