Lede

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Lede

Postby Perry Lassiter » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:57 pm

OnlineED says the term is often used to replace lead as in the first sentence of a news story. Famously. The lead sentence of a straight (as opposed to sports, opinion, etc.) news story should answer the six questions, who, what, when, where, why, and how. In the inverted pyramid style, that summary sentence is followed by the most important facts in descending order of importance. Thus, in laying out the paper, the printer can simply cut off whatever he needs to fit the space without taking time to assess or rearrange the story.

This morning I read an opinion piece in which the author near the end made her point and said she had "buried the lede." That's a frequent use of the new spelling. OED suggests it arose in 1965 to distinguish between the words and the lead type they were set in. Anyone have more info?
pl

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Lede

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:43 am

I've been wondering about this one myself for quite some time, so I do hope someone out there has more of a clue than I do.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:23 am

After reading what The Word Detective has to say about the difference I decided that the word was to narrowly defined and archaic.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:32 pm

Whateveer the source, it would be written, not oral. In "Let the lede lead the story" both the words are pronounced identically. One rational explanation is that "lede" can only mean the first sentence, unless buried...
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”