Out with the old....

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David McWethy
Lexiterian

Out with the old....

Postby David McWethy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:00 pm

This seems like a propitious moment to take my medulla oblongata broom and sweep out the words that seemed to have had such great potential as GWs at the time I jotted them down, but which—with the passage of time—have become less and less stellar choice it has become painfully obvious by the year’s end that I would never submit them.

The brain (mine, anyway) can store, in its pristine condition, only so much information before it starts to collect nicks and scratches to the point that I occasionally become concerned that if I don’t sweep out the dust bunnies and detritus from the corners in order to make space for the newcomers, the day may come when I won’t remember the first names of my parents.

So here are the first ten, for anyone’s use. I've already forgetten the definition of 25% of them, and I likely didn't understand another 10% at the time I jotted them down.

1 – Sophrosyne;
2 – Vorfreude;
3 – Numinous;
4 – Nemophilist;
5 – Sillage;
6 – Erlebnisse;
7 – Koyaanisqatsi;
8 – Meliorism;
9 – Fernweh;
10 – And, just for Dr. G.: Ostranenie—also spelled in its native Russian: остранение
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Out with the old....

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:54 pm

"Numinous" is of value in the philosophical realm, so please don't discard it. Wasn't it Sherlock Holmes who compared the brain to an attic, so refused to gather and/or keep useless information to make the rest of his data more easily accessible?
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”