Corn

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
David McWethy
Lexiterian

Corn

Postby David McWethy » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:42 pm

This is a suggestion of "corn" as a Good Word, as well as a way to make readers aware of a complementary web site.

Delanceyplace [daily@delanceyplace.ccsend.com] is a brief daily email with an excerpt or quote viewed as interesting or noteworthy, offered with commentary to provide context. There is no theme, except that most excerpts will come from a non-fiction work, mainly works of history,

The edition for January 31featured passages from the book
Why Do We Say It?: The Stories Behind the Words, Expressions and Cliches We Use
published by Castle Books. Included is the word "corn"; I'll try not to spoil the entry by tickling the curiosity with the mention that it includes an explanation of why one of several related references is to "corned" beef.

I think my fellow web-footed verbophiles will enjoy delanceyplace as another web site that--like Good Word--offers erudite information for those who simply derive enjoyment from becoming enlightened by a new word or perspective.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Corn

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:16 pm

I do enjoy it every day, though I think Slava doesn't think so highly of it. As it samples books, of course the newfeed is uneven and partly depends on the reader's intereest,
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”