Eisegesis

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

Eisegesis

Postby William Hupy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 am

I know, I know, exegesis is already in the Good Word dictionary, but its opposite is not. Balance in vocabulary as in yoga is essential to a more fulfilling existence. And you are free to give this your own interpretation.
William A. Hupy

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Eisegesis

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:00 pm

Ministers are taught in seminary to avoid eisegesis, the reading of your existing opinions into a text. The accompanying hermaneutic goes, "first find out what it said, and then what it says." In other words, use linguistic studies, thought patterns of that day and age, archaeological results, and anything else available to determine how the first readers would have heard it. Only then are you qualified to decide what enduring truths can be carried forward into the present day.
pl

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:42 am

According to http://www.gotquestions.org:
Exegesis and eisegesis are two conflicting approaches in Bible study. Exegesis is the exposition or explanation of a text based on a careful, objective analysis. The word exegesis literally means “to lead out of.” That means that the interpreter is led to his conclusions by following the text.

The opposite approach to Scripture is eisegesis, which is the interpretation of a passage based on a subjective, non-analytical reading. The word eisegesis literally means “to lead into,” which means the interpreter injects his own ideas into the text, making it mean whatever he wants.

Obviously, only exegesis does justice to the text. Eisegesis is a mishandling of the text and often leads to a misinterpretation. Exegesis is concerned with discovering the true meaning of the text, respecting its grammar, syntax, and setting. Eisegesis is concerned only with making a point, even at the expense of the meaning of words.
I found it interesting that (presumably) alphaDictionary.com's spell checker metaphysically exercises eisegesis when it "injects ...[its] own ideas into the text, making ...[it spelled however it] wants" by placing a red underline under "Eisegesis".
"Words mean what I say they mean," said the Red Queen. "Nothing more and nothing less".
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:25 pm

The question is who is to be master, that's all...
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”