gird

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
William Hupy
Senior Lexiterian

gird

Postby William Hupy » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:37 am

Has anyone had to gird oneself recently? I mentioned that I had to gird myself for retirement and was met with blank stares. I began to question my mental acuity, then I looked to an old friend:
Old English gyrdan "put a belt or girdle around; encircle; bind with flexible material; invest with attributes," from Proto-Germanic *gurdjan (cognates: Old Norse gyrða, Old Saxon gurdian, Old Frisian gerda, Dutch gorden, Old High German gurtan, German gürten), from PIE *ghr-dh-, suffixed form of root *gher- (1) "to grasp" (see yard (n.1)). Related: Girded; girding.
Throughout its whole history the English word is chiefly employed in rhetorical language, in many instances with more or less direct allusion to biblical passages. [OED]
As in to gird oneself "tighten the belt and tuck up loose garments to free the body in preparation for a task or journey."
William A. Hupy

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: gird

Postby Slava » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:44 pm

I most often see this one in the phrase "to gird one's loins."

It is also the root of the steel beam used to reinforce parts of buildings.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: gird

Postby call_copse » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:52 am

Yes, loins are the only thing I have ever known to be girded. Used semi-ironically when preparing to take on an onerous or tricky task.
Iain

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”