Blues

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Blues

Postby Perry Lassiter » Thu May 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Reading CS Lewis's letters, I find him using an expression like "when I get the blues" back in 1921-2. Of course that was when jazz and blues were developing in the US, esp in New Orleans, Mamphis, Chicago, and New York. Led me to wonder about the cultural derivation of the term. Also why they picked that color. To me, black or gray or brown would be more the way I would likely describe myself if feeling low. Blue is a more romantic color, dominating as couples sit or walk under the moon. Anyone have any cultural etymology to contribute?
pl

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Blues

Postby call_copse » Fri May 29, 2015 6:31 am

I believe there was a common expression 'blue devils' meaning a fit of melancholia from the 18th Century onwards. Perhaps abbreviation?

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/blue+devils

That's all I can find quickly, there seem to be lots of sports teams etc referred by Google.

Also you have the skin colour when cold / bruised, could that be relevant?
Iain

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri May 29, 2015 2:39 pm

It goes way, way back:
as a music form featuring flatted thirds and sevenths, possibly c. 1895 (though officially 1912, in W.C. Handy's "Memphis Blues"); meaning "depression, low spirits" goes back to 1741, from adjectival blue "low-spirited," late 14c.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat May 30, 2015 4:01 pm

Handy wasn't THAT old. Can someone find documentation on the 14th century reference?
pl

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”