phasmid

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
sardith
Lexiterian

phasmid

Postby sardith » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:51 pm

Dear Dr. Goodword,

I'm interested in the word,
"phasmid",which I encountered in the movie, "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World". Could you please get me some information on its history. :?

Could you talk about why there are no synonyms for this word or rather on other words that I have looked up in the dictionary.

Thank you,
Susan Lee
:mrgreen:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Re: phasmid

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:50 am

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.
Phasmids apparently live only in the tropics, which explains why there is not a more common English word for them. Since they are insects, tropical ones at that, the meaning is too narrow for a Good Word. I need room to play.
--RB
• The Good Dr. Goodword

sardith
Lexiterian

Re: phasmid

Postby sardith » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:52 am

Dear Dr. Goodword,

Thank you for your information on the phasmids. The bit about the Tropics is helpful, but I agree, it's more fun to have the room to play!

I'm looking all the time for you to have playtime.

Sincerely,
Susan
:mrgreen:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”