mensch

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
uncronopio
Lexiterian

mensch

Postby uncronopio » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:08 pm

From Wikipedia:
In Yiddish (from which the word has migrated into American English), mensch roughly means "a good person". A mensch is a particularly good person, like "a stand-up guy," a person with the qualities one would hope for in a dear friend or trusted colleague. According to author and Yiddish popularist Leo Rosten,
[a] mensch is a someone to admire and emulate, someone of noble character. The key to being "a real mensch" is nothing less than character, rectitude, dignity, a sense of what is right, responsible, decorous. (Rosten, Leo. 1968. The Joys of Yiddish. New York: Pocket Books. 237)
Menschlikhkeit is the properties which make one a mensch.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." -- Mark Twain

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:02 am

Funny that in German, where Yiddish got it from, Mensch only means person, be they good or bad (but be good for Christmas' sake!).

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

frank
Lexiterian

Postby frank » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:48 pm

While in Dutch -- or rather in my region -- there are two meanings for "mens" (<mensch), both with an article of their own:
de mens: human being (neutral)
het mens: an annoying (older) woman (pejorative).
[no idea how widespread it is, but a few seasons ago, there was a major theater play over here called "Het mens", so i guess it's widely understood.]
Frank

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:18 pm

Frank, I reckon everyone in Flanders knows what "het mens" means.
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:20 pm

Spaceman and Frank : I thought «het» was the undeclined definite article in Dutch, corresponding to the English «the» ; would not then «het mens» be ambiguous ? (Timorous type that I am, I shan't say what the phrase would mean in Swedish, as that could lead to certain difficulties....)

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Spiff
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Spiff » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:13 am

"Het" is the neuter definite article, whereas "de" is used with either male or female words. "Het mens" is only used for women, though, not for men.
Spaceman Spiff

"The capacity for humankind to centralize its importance in the grand scheme of things is quite impressive."
- Tim Ward

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:23 pm

So you chaps neuter them first ! All my prejudices concerning the Dutch criminal system are therewith confirmed !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”