Clitorectomy

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Clitorectomy

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:09 am

Clitorectomy is the surgical removal of the clitoris. It is often accompanied by the removal of the inner labia as well. Other forms of female circumcision include: pricking or removing the clitoral hood, but not the clitoris, removing the clitoris, inner labia and part of the outer labia, and pharonic circumicision or infibulation, the sewing together of the remainder of the outer labia, leaving only a small opening for the flow of urine and menstrual fluids. According to the World Health Organization, clitorectomy is considered a rite of passage for female children in many African, Indonesian and Malaysian cultures.
Do we need a mohel for that?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Clitorectomy

Postby Stargzer » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:05 pm

. . .

Do we need a mohel for that?

Brazilian dude
No, only a warped world-view as far as I know.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Flaminius
Lexiterian

Postby Flaminius » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:20 pm

a warped world-view
which, according to my fieldwork professor, was promoted partly by reportages by Western scholars and journalists falsefully identifying these locally-limited rites as generally African or Islamic. When nationalism bloomed in Africa, he contended, female circumcision was embraced by locals as typically African custom.

BD, could you provide the original source? I never knew female circumcision is practised in South East Asia. I intend to enquire my Malaysian friends where and how often the said practise is observed.

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:36 pm

Languages rule!

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:27 am

In my little sheltered world I had no idea what a mohel is or was or did. Imagine my surprise and repulsion when I googled and came up with this article. Do they still practise the sucking of the blood from the wound? :?
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:39 am

Mutilation of the human body should be postponed until the age of majority and consent is given.

Sitran
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:39 pm

In my little sheltered world I had no idea what a mohel is or was or did. Imagine my surprise and repulsion when I googled and came up with this article.
Well, I gave mohel the meaning I'm used to: someone who performs circumcision on a Jewish boy in a ceremony called briss.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:20 pm

I'm with Sitran all the way on this one. Let such choices be made freely by the individual concerned, not by parents, aunts and uncles, or whomever !...

Henri

By the way, the term I learned for this procedure is «clitoridectomy» (from the genetive form of the noun «clitoris»), which gets nearly five times as many hits in a Google search as «clitorectomy»....
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:42 pm

By the way, the term I learned for this procedure is «clitoridectomy» (from the genetive form of the noun «clitoris»), which gets nearly five times as many hits in a Google search as «clitorectomy»....
I have to agree with you on this one, the genitive is the case regularly used for Latin compounds: cf. terraemotus, which gave Portuguese/Spanish/Italian terremoto.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:50 pm

I have to agree with you on this one, ...
If you pray hard, BD, your sin might just possibly be forgiven....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:53 pm

That sounds better than having to confess my plethora of sins to a priest.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”