Dromomania

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:56 pm

Are you going somewhere, dude?

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Now that sounds like a real adventure! Some people have all the luck!

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:55 pm

Some days I'd love to "suffer" from this!

-Tim

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:34 am

Some days I'd love to "suffer" from this!

-Tim
Yes, like the proverbial sailor,there have been days when I've wanted to tuck a keyboard under my arm and march inland until someone says, "What's that?" And there I will settle down and stay.

I think those places are getting harder to find in this country these days . . .
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

KatyBr
Wordmaster

Postby KatyBr » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:11 am

I know this syndrome well. I have travelled just way more than enough, now? I like being at home. My husband and I are at odds about this, he loves nothing better than to sit in a stuffy (cigarette smoke-filled) car eating junk for days as he watches the towns go by at 55 MPH minimun. I guess the point of traveling escapes me (because it currently resides on the tippy-top of my little head...?)

Grogie
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Grogie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:33 am

Extremely interesting word BD. Thank you.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:54 pm

Yes, like the proverbial sailor,there have been days when I've wanted to tuck a keyboard under my arm and march inland until someone says, "What's that?" And there I will settle down and stay.
My grandmother's version was, "I'm gonna tie a snow shovel to the roof of my car and drive south 'til they ask what it is."
-gailr

alas, still surrounded by snow...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:15 am

. . .
My grandmother's version was, "I'm gonna tie a snow shovel to the roof of my car and drive south 'til they ask what it is."
-gailr

alas, still surrounded by snow...
Given your local weather, how long before you follow your grandmother's advice?

A couple of years ago, Nags Head, NC was hit by a snow storm and ran out of snow shovels. They don't usually get that much snow there, and usually use snow shovels to shovel sand in the summer after storms.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Dromomania

Postby M. Henri Day » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:06 pm

Dromomania, also called travelling fugue, is a psychological condition in which people spontaneously depart their routine, travel long distances and take up different identities and occupations. ...
And a dromedary, of course, is a place where they stop on the way to buy soft ice-cream (I'm presently writing an entry for this term for Wikipedia)....

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:07 pm

If there are enough students to put on amateur theatrical presentations in conjunction with serving icecream, it's a dramadairy.
-gailr

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”