aloud or out loud?

You have words - now what do you do with them?
Billie
Junior Lexiterian

aloud or out loud?

Postby Billie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:04 am

My friend always corrects me that I shouldn't use aloud, that it isn't right, that I should use out loud. Is it wrong to use aloud?

If it isn't can I get an example to show my friend? She likes to think she is a grammer pro and nitpicks mine all of the time. :?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:25 am

Well, I think it's the other way around.
Out loud was once widely decried as an error for aloud, and it is still sometimes described as a colloquialism to be avoided in formal writing. Its first recorded use was in the early 19h century:

Lord Andover in the presence of Lord and Lady Suffolk and speaking out loud - Maria Edgeworth, letter, 1921 (OED Supplement)

Its heyday as an object of criticism came about a hundred years later, when American commentators such as MacCracken & Sandison 1717, Ball 1923, Woolley & Scott 1926, and Krapp 1927 routinely prescribed against it in their books. While its notoriety has dimished, it still survives as a usage topic in composition textbooks for high school and college students and in Garner 1998.

Our abundant written evidence for out loud shows clearly that it is not a colloquialism. We would agree that aloud is more likely in solemn writing (Garner says it is much more frequent), but in general use the two terms are essentially interchangeable:

She read it aloud to my classmates - Russell Baker, Growing Up, 1982

He was reading my words out loud to the entire class - Russell Baker, Growing Up, 982

... being permitted to think aloud with friends and colleagues - Bruce Dearing, CEA Forum, April 1971

... afraid to let themsedlves or others think out loud - Nehemiah Jordan, Themes in Speculative Psychology, 1968

A distinctive and exclusive use of out loud is in the idiom "for crying out loud!". It is also preferred to aloud following the verb laugh:

... Mazeppa makes him laugh out loud - Robert Craft, N. Y. Rev. of Books, 25 Feb. 1971

He laughed out loud - E. L. Doctorow, Loon Lake, 1979
From Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

Billie
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Billie » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:22 pm

Thank you Brazilian dude, you've just made my day! :)

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:09 am

Oh, for crying out loud; it is allowed! :wink:

The American Heritage Dictionary has entries for both words, although I'm not sure I see a real difference.
aloud

ADVERB: 1. With use of the voice; orally: Read this passage aloud. 2. In a loud tone; loudly: crying aloud for help.

out loud

ADVERB: Loud enough to be audible; aloud: read the poem out loud.
I think there may be a connotation to out loud that makes it a stronger, or louder, manner than aloud, so these words are used in different situations. For instance, one of the definitions of the word out as an adverb is:
10. Without inhibition; boldly: Speak out.
For example, the statement:
She read the book aloud to the class.
is not as strong as the command:
Read it out loud so everyone can hear!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Apoclima
Senior Lexiterian

Postby Apoclima » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:11 am

I think you are right, Larry. "Out loud" definitely sounds stronger than "aloud."

Apo
'Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination.' -Max Planck

mamawsandy
Junior Lexiterian

Postby mamawsandy » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:10 pm

Oh me! I think I am back in grammar class. Man, you guys are good. I expect to learn something here. Y'all keep this up and I might be able to write my book.
mamawsandy :lol:
mamawsandy
I'm a Steel Magnolia
Tough but gentle
Like a lady

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:23 pm

Will my name show in the credits?

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

ClaudiaHaughwout
Junior Lexiterian

Re: aloud or out loud?

Postby ClaudiaHaughwout » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:33 am

It all depends of the context that you're using the two... For example, if someone is reading a book (silently) and you want to hear it too, you would say "read it aloud" ... [ aloud - verbally] ....
'Out loud' is used in an example like this : "Please read it out loud so the kids in the back can hear you"
I hope this answers your inquiry :-)

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: aloud or out loud?

Postby Perry Lassiter » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:53 pm

Welcome Claudia!
pl

Return to “Grammar”