Hair v. Fur

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Hair v. Fur

Postby Slava » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:01 pm

I recall that during the hunt for First Dog, the Obama's needed to look at just a few breeds, because they had x not y. I've forgotten which was where, but Bo the Portuguese Water Dog is the right kind.

Does anyone out there know the difference? I took a couple of looks on the Internot, but didn't find what I was looking for. Fur is defined as hair in most places.

So what does Bo have, or not have? And how do we tell the difference?

Woof!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:43 pm

I think it was a dog that didn't shed a lot, because one of the daughters is alergic to dog dander. Labs blow all their coat at once twice a year, our beagle-basset mix sheds continuously. I believe poodles and the aforementioned Portuguese Water Dogs are in the low-shedding categories.

Cat dander is what closes up my sinuses. I can walk in to some houses that have cats and start closing up quickly, but other times it doesn't seem to bother me.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

saparris
Wordmaster

Postby saparris » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:12 pm

I thought Hair v. Fur was a court case where Han Solo sued Chewy for monkeying around with the Millennium Falcon!
Ars longa, vita brevis

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Hair v. Fur

Postby Slava » Fri May 09, 2014 3:41 pm

I now have an answer. Hair continues to grow and needs to be trimmed. Fur comes in and falls out (sheds). People tend to have reactions to the shedding, but not the hair.

So definitions that use the other word in them aren't quite right, are they?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Res Diversae”