Baby Names...or Not

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Baby Names...or Not

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:59 pm

The most unusual name I have heard came from a Nurse who worked with newborns in a hospital. One mother insisted on naming her baby girl Vagina. Thinking the mother was misspelling Virginia, my friend tried to help her with the spelling of the name. The new mother insisted she knew what she was doing, so Vagina it was.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:42 pm

V-Sauce posted a video on names yesterday: Names
It's a pastiche of information about names, including laws, distribution, social effects, and names for names.
There's another topic here on words that have opposite meanings, and he touches on that with autoantonym.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:36 pm

Knew a woman once whose mother wanted to name her Esther, but misspelled it Easter, which she bore all her life.
Are you sure it was a case of misspelling?

I once lived in the last house before the black ghetto in Fayetteville, NC. Since the ghetto had the nearest neighborhood store, I used to run errands there for my mother. (I can recall the time I had to return home for more money when bread went up from 5¢ to 10¢.)

Anyway, the way to this store led me past a house inhabited by an elderly African American woman who was known as "Aunt Easter". I knew a lot of African Americans back then, but not another named "Easter".

I have positive associations with the name, probably because Aunt Easter spent most of the days swinging on her front porch and would chat with me as I passed.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:29 pm

The Easter I knew told me herself that her mother misspelled it. She too was a very sweet lady, confined to a nursing home when I new her.
pl

Return to “Res Diversae”