New Words in the ODO

Miscellaneous Other Topics.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

New Words in the ODO

Postby Slava » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Please remember, this is NOT the OED, it's the ODO. Nevertheless, it is of interest:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... nd-adorbs/
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: New Words in the ODO

Postby Stargzer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:32 pm

It took this long for GIF to get into a dictionary?

As for Cray (Crazy; I had to follow the link to look it up), my first thought was one of the first supercomputers, the Cray series of computers. They looked like Victorian settees.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:37 pm

And it's only into an online version, not a physi-dict. I'm coining a new word here, but will it gain acceptance? That would be fun.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:35 am

None of these words discussed has made it into the hinterlands. I am sometimes thankful to live in my own little world. There is a song that advises: "Find a sweet little nest, somewhere in the west, and let the rest of the world go by." One of those fiery preachers that only Texas and Oklahoma can create and tolerate, paraphrased this little ditty into ,"Find a sweet little nest, somewhere in the west, and let the rest of the world go to Hell." I was there when he preached it. He was deriding our interest in the souls of others.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Res Diversae”