FL / SL teaching to blind people

A discussion of the peculiarities of languages and the differences between them.
frank
Lexiterian

FL / SL teaching to blind people

Postby frank » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:46 pm

Hi,

My apologies for x-posting this one.

Does anybody here have experience with teaching FL/SL to blind people? Or can somebody point out some articles/publications about this.

Thanks in advance,

Groetjes,

Frank

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:59 pm

This is an interesting question. I wonder how it turned out? How would you go about teaching a visual language to a blind person?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:43 am

I didn't see this item when it was originally posted.

Assuming FL means foreign language and SL means second language, I once taught English to blind Japanese students.

I used James J. Asher's Total Physical Response method to develop about 50 hours of instruction. Have a look at www.tpr-world.com, and good luck.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:29 pm

To tell the truth, I always assumed SL was sign language. If it's second language, that makes it a lot different.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:03 am

For some reason, I expect that while the blind may be able to sign, they'd have a hard time reading sign language.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Languages of the World”