uniquify

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

uniquify

Postby engineer27 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:57 am

As of today, this word is considered slang or colloquial:

Verb
uniquify

(rare, slang, computing) To eliminate duplicates from a list, especially when using the *nix command/function uniq.

(http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/uniquify)

However, it seems to nicely fill a void in the language. The only other similar word I can think of is "differentiate", and it doesn't really convey quite the same sense of making unique.

Can anyone else think of a well-established word that is synonymous with "uniquify"?

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:31 am

How about dundance or dundancy, as you are removing redundancy?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:58 am

How about dundance or dundancy, as you are removing redundancy?
While dundancy might describe the result of uniquification, it is not likely synonymous. Additionally, it has the problem of being even less recognized than uniquify. I can't find it in any dictionaries.

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:03 am

To make it clear, I am agitating to move uniquify out of the category of slang and into the realm of accepted usage (Word-dom?), on the grounds that it fills a void in the language, currently only partly occupied by the ungainly phrase "to make unique."

If there is already a well-established word in that lexical locale, then the void doesn't exist and uniquify can stay where it is, in the bailiwick of computer nerds and word geeks (in both of which I guess I have to confess membership).

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:33 pm

That's what's so great about English: you can verb any noun or adjective you want! :roll:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:48 pm

That's what's so great about English: you can verb any noun or adjective you want! :roll:
Should that be verbify?

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:54 pm

Then again, I think part of the real greatness of English is that it is already so rich and abundant that one can generally find a word to express one's exact sentiment without having to resort to inventing new ones!

I am not sure which is more fun -- creating new words on the fly to suit the situation, or delving deep into the vocabulary mine for that forgotten gem that fits perfectly into the milieu of the moment. Both certainly have their attractions to verbivores like ourselves!

Cacasenno
Lexiterian

Postby Cacasenno » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:58 pm

Should that be verbify?

I underwrite you both :)

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Postby engineer27 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:06 pm

I underwrite you both :)
There you provide a possible example of a Malapropism
(http://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/date/2007/05/31), since the word exists, but means something else. Of course, if you intend to extend the usage of this word into new grammatical territory, you might have good cause. It would certainly fill a much needed void in the language.

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”