self-fulfilling-prophecy

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
KatyBr
Wordmaster

self-fulfilling-prophecy

Postby KatyBr » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:12 pm

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Description
If a person thinks we are clever or stupid or whatever, they will treat us that way. If we are treated as if we are clever, stupid or whatever, we will act, and even become, this way. The person has thus had their prophecy about us fulfilled!

This is also known as the Pygmalion Effect.
http://changingminds.org/explanations/t ... ophecy.htm

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:57 pm

Here's another one of those things I've always taken a bit differently. This description is of someone else's prophecy/expectation of US. I've always seen it as our OWN prophecy about ourselves.

As in "The Little Engine That Could." "I think I can, I think I can." He could

If you're always telling yourself you're stupid, or can't do X, Y, or Z, you can't.

That's a self-fulfilling prophecy to me. Though I do see the other usage as fitting.

"I think I can get a job, I think I can get a job, I think I can get a job...."
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:04 pm

How you are treated by others can affect how you act and how you perceive yourself. If you are told during your entire life you are worthless and incompetent, then unless you have an extremely strong personality and sense of self-worth, you may end up fulfilling the other person's prophecy.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”