sister

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
gailr
Grand Panjandrum

sister

Postby gailr » Thu Sep 06, 2007 1:56 am

We've looked at other relative words.

AHD says:
NOUN: 1. A female having the same parents as another or one parent in common with another. 2. A girl or woman who shares a common ancestry, allegiance, character, or purpose with another or others, specifically: a. A kinswoman. b. A woman fellow member, as of a sorority. c. A fellow woman. d. A close woman friend or companion. e. A fellow African-American woman or girl. f. A woman who advocates, fosters, or takes part in the feminist movement. 3. Informal Used as a form of address for a woman or girl. 4. abbr. Sr. Ecclesiastical a. A member of a religious order of women; a nun. b. Used as a form of address for such a woman, alone or followed by the woman's name. 5. Chiefly British A nurse, especially the head nurse in a ward. 6. One identified as female and closely related to another: “the sisters Death and Night” (Walt Whitman).

ETYMOLOGY: Middle English, from Old Norse systir. See swesor- in Appendix I.
Etymonline says:
O.E. sweostor, swuster, or a Scand. cognate (cf. O.N. systir, Swed. sister, Dan. søster), in either case from P.Gmc. *swestr- (cf. O.S. swestar, O.Fris. swester, M.Du. suster, Du. zuster, O.H.G. swester, Ger. Schwester, Goth. swistar), from PIE *swesor, one of the most persistent and unchanging PIE root words, recognizable in almost every modern I.E. language (cf. Skt. svasar-, Avestan shanhar-, L. soror, O.C.S., Rus. sestra, Lith. sesuo, O.Ir. siur, Welsh chwaer, Gk. eor). Probably from PIE roots *swe- "one's own" + *ser- "woman."

For vowel evolution, see bury. Used of nuns in O.E.; of a woman in general from 1906; of a black woman from 1926; and in the sense of "fellow feminist" from 1912.
"Gk. eor" looks a little different than the others.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: sister

Postby Slava » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:06 pm

Isn't eor a donkey? Oh, is there a difference? Just kidding, of course.

Excellent word. I'm surprised to see we haven't seen it given its place in our WOTD dictionary.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:36 am

Excellent word. I'm surprised to see we haven't seen it given its place in our WOTD dictionary.
I can hear the Feminazis now: "Eeyore is a donkey; Slava is a Jacka$$ ..." :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

kingbudz
Junior Lexiterian

Postby kingbudz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:24 pm

I can hear the Feminazis now: "Eeyore is a donkey; Slava is a Jacka$$ ..." :wink:
WOTD dictionary was actually a nice idea..

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”